Main Article Content
Knowledge sharing, Job performance, Psycho-social perspectives, Knowledge management, Al Ain Municipality, UAE
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this paper is to assess the knowledge sharing and job performance from psycho-social perspectives on Al Ain Municipality in UAE.
Methodology: Since this is a conceptual study, so this paper only focuses on the literature survey and logical explanation based on the facts discussed.
Results: The results of this study show that loss of knowledge can result in duplication of work, unreasonable searches for expertise and knowledge, and employees not learning from the experienced. Not all knowledge in the organisations is of critical value, and therefore need not be captured and retained, but the critical knowledge that is at risk of loss should be captured.
Implications: The awareness of knowledge loss through staff attrition may motivate companies to institutionalise specific processes to capture the tacit knowledge of their employees as much as possible. It is advisable for firms to have strategies in place on how to capture and retain their workforce’s knowledge.
Novelty: This research contributes significantly on the knowledge management from psycho-social perspectives and from the vantage point of United Arab Emirates. Upon the analysis of the data collected, the research may provide recommendations for the policy makers, academicians, practitioners as well as decision-makers and other stakeholders.
2. Allameh B. Y. O. M. M., Masa'deh, R., & Ali Tahrini, (2011),"The impact of knowledge management on innovation", Management Research Review, Vol. 39 Iss 10 pp. 1214 - 1238https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-09-2015-0214
3. Bashir D. S., Noor A. B. H.&Aliu.O.A., (2014). Knowledge Management and Organizational Performance of Mobile Service Firms in Nigeria: A Proposed Framework, Information and Knowledge Management, Vol.4, No.11, 89-95
4. Baumard Lim, (1999)," Examining the organisational culture and organisational performance link", Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 16(5), pp. 16 - 21https://doi.org/10.1108/01437739510088491
5. Brotherton and Shaw, S.H. (1996). A resource-based perspective on knowledge management capability and competitive advantage: An empirical investigation. Expert System with Applications, 27, 459-465.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2004.05.008
6. Castanias, G. and Helfat, D. (1991), "Dynamic capabilities and operational capabilities: a knowledge management perspective", Journal of Business Research, Vol. 60 No. 5, pp. 426-437.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.01.013
7. Chen, A.N.K., Hwang, Y. & Raghu, T.S. (2010), "Knowledge life cycle, knowledge inventory, and knowledge acquisition strategies", Decision Sciences, 41(1), pp. 21-47.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2009.00258.x
8. Davenport I. Prusak P. (1998),"The relationship between multidimensional organisational culture and performance", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 31 Iss 7 pp. 712 - 735.https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571111144823
9. Debowski, D (2006), Business Research for Decision Making, 6th edn, Thomson, Mason.
10. Demarest, M.C. (1997), Knowledge management in law firms in Botswana. Unpublished PhD thesis, Department of Information Science. Pretoria: University of Pretoria.
11. Dewah, L. (2011). Linking improved knowledge management to operational and organisational performance, Journal of Operations Management, 27 (2009) 247-264https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2008.09.003
12. Dooley Heisig P., Suraj O. A., Aino K., Cosmas K., Gregorio P. A., & Nasser F. E., (1998),"Knowledge management and business performance: global experts' views on future research needs", Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 20 Iss 6 pp. 1169 – 1198. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-12-2015-0521
13. Drucker, D. (1993), Statistical models: theory and practice, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge; New York.
14. Earl R & Scott Kloub (1999). Impact of Organizational Structure on Knowledge Management in the Jordanian Insurance Companies: From the Perspective of the Supervisory Leadership. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4 (11), pp. 82-95
15. eGain Communications Corporation, (2004). Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA
16. Fakhar S., Rana A. L., Ayesha R. K., Lalarukh S.(2012), Organisational Culture (Counter Culture, Sub Culture, Strong Culture, Week Culture). Interdisciplinary Journal Of Contemporary Research In Business, January 2012 Vol 3, No 9, 975 - 985
17. Fariza.A.Chilla, Yusuf Kibet, & Musiega Douglas. (2015). Effects Of Organizational Culture On Organizational Performance In The Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 1 (3), pp.1-13
18. Gareth R.T. &White Svetlana Cicmil, (2016),"Knowledge acquisition through process mapping",
19. Gholami et al.,(2013). Investigating the Influence of Knowledge Management Practices on Organizational Performance: An Empirical Study, ActaPolytechnicaHungarica, 10( 2),205-216 https://doi.org/10.12700/APH.10.02.2013.2.14.
20. Grant, C.T. (1996), Developing a model of next-generation knowledge management. Toronto: Information Science Institute, Ryerson University.
21. Grover, Z. Davenport, M. (2001). Developing an instrument for knowledge management project evaluation. Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 1(1), 55-62.
22. Hislop, D. (2003), "Linking human resource management and knowledge management via commitment: a review and research agenda", Employee Relations, Vol. 25 No. 2, pp. 182-202. https://doi.org/10.1108/01425450310456479
23. Hitt, M., Jacobs, E.J. & Roodt, G. (1998).The mediating effect of knowledge sharing between organisational culture and turnover intentions of professional nurses.South African Journal of Information Management,13(1):1-6.https://doi.org/10.4102/sajim.v13i1.425
24. Hung, M, Khaled M. A. and Nicholas B, (2005) The Knowledge Enablers of Knowledge Transfer: An Empirical Study in Telecommunications Companies, IBIMA Business Review, 2011 (2011), 1-13.https://doi.org/10.5171/2011.328944
25. Jackson, J. Joshua, M and Nicholas B, (2003),"Corporate governance, ownership structure and performance of SMEs in Ghana: implications for financing opportunities", Corporate Governance: The international journal of business in society, 7 (3), pp. 288 – 300 https://doi.org/10.1108/14720700710756562
26. Kakabadse, H, Jarvenpaa, S. L., and D. Staples (2003): "The use of collaborative electronic media for information sharing: an exploratory study of determinants," Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 2/3, 129-154.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8687(00)00042-1
27. Kalkan Willis, (2008),"Market orientation: relation to structure and performance", Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 20 Iss 6 pp. 276 – 284 https://doi.org/10.1108/08858620510618110
28. Kambiz Abdi1 & Aslan Amat Senin1, (2015).The Impact of Knowledge Management on Organizational Innovation: An Empirical Study, Asian Social Science, 11(23), 153-168 https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v11n23p153
29. Kim Li, Z. & Zhu, Lee T. (2010).An empirical study on the influence of social capital on informal knowledge transfer among individuals. Journal of Software, 4(4):291-8. https://doi.org/10.4304/jsw.4.4.291-298
30. Kogut Liu, S., & Zander, Z., (1992),"Understanding knowledge management capability in business process outsourcing", Management Decision, Vol. 53(1) pp. 124 – 138 https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-04-2014-0197
31. Lahaie, P. (2005). The role of knowledge management in new drug development. Retrieved on June 12, 2010, from http://www.providersedge.com/docs/
32. Lee, Y, and Yu, S. (2004), "Reward systems for intra-organizational knowledge sharing," European Journal of Operational Research, 180(2), 938 - 956. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.03.052
33. Liao C, Wang H, Chuang S, et al. (2010) Enhancing knowledge management for R&D innovation and firm performance: an integrative view. African Journal of Business Management 4:3026-3038.
34. Mariam Zakaria, Kofi Poku, & Wilberforce Owusu-Ansah., (2013). Organizational Culture and Organisational Performance: Empirical Evidence from the Banking Industry in Ghana. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology, 3(1), pp.95-107
35. Martin Muya. (2000). The Impact of Organisational Culture on Performance of Educational Institutions. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(8), pp. 211-217
36. McAulay, R. &McCreedy, S. (1997). The process of knowledge management within organisations: a critical assessment of both theory and practice. Knowledge and process management, 6(2):101-113.https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1441(199906)6:2<101::AID-KPM53>3.3.CO;2-G
37. Metaxiotis L. L. S., &Yeow K. C., (2015). Knowledge Creation Process: Evidence from the Accommodation Industry, The International Journal Of Business & Management, 3(3), 303-313
38. Moffett H. Gholami, MehrdadNazariAsli, Salman Nazari-Shirkouhi, &Ali Noruzy, (2002). Investigating the Influence of Knowledge Management Practices on Organizational Performance: An Empirical Study. ActaPolytechnicaHungarica, 10 (02),pp 205-216
39. Moodysson, J. (2008) Principles and Practices of Knowledge Creation: On the Organization of "Buzz" and "Pipelines" in Life Science Communities. Economic Geography, 84(4), 449-469 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-8287.2008.00004.x
40. Mukhtar S. A., Halilu B. R &Rosli M., (2015). Knowledge Management, Entrepreneurial Orientation and Firm Performance: The Role of Organizational Culture, Asian Social Science, 11(23), 140-152.https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v11n23p140
41. Nguyen, T. (2010), "Knowledge acquisition: the roles of the perceived value of knowledge content and source", Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 16 No. 5, pp. 724-739. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673271211262772
42. Nikolaos T., Dimitrios M., & Georgios T.,(2011). Knowledge Management Enabler Factors and Firm Performance: An Empirical Research of the Greek Medium and Large Firms, European Research Studies, XIV, (2), 97-134
43. Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, H. (1995). The Knowledge-Creating Company. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
44. O'Dell P., & Grayson G. (1998). Knowledge management: a strategic agenda. Long Range Planning, 30(3), 385-391.
45. Omotayo, O. (2015). "Managing Knowledge in Organizations: an integrative framework and review of emerging themes," Management Science, 49(4), 571-582. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.4.571.14424
46. Patrick J. Murphy Robert A.& Cooke Yvette Lopez, (2013),"Firm culture and performance: intensity's effects and limits", Management Decision, 51 (3) pp. 661 – 679. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741311309715
47. Polanyi, M. (1966). Personal Knowledge: University of Chicago Press, Chicago
48. Prusak, J. (2001). Knowledge management: the new librarianship? From custodians of history to gatekeepers to the future.Journal of Library Management, 24(8): 433-440.https://doi.org/10.1108/01435120310501112
49. Robbins Rowley, Coutler J. (2010). What is knowledge management? Library Management, 20(8): 416-419. Rowley, J. 2001. Knowledge management in pursuit of learning: the learning with knowledge cycle. Journal of Information Science, 27(4): 227-237.https://doi.org/10.1177/016555101401266674
50. Robbins Rowley, Judge J. (2010). (2013). Knowledge management in pursuit of learning: the learning with knowledge cycle. Journal of Information Science, 27(4): 227-237. https://doi.org/10.1177/016555101401266674
51. Salina D., & Wan F. W. Y., (2010) Knowledge Management and Firm Performance InSmes: The Role Of Social Capital As A Mediating Variable, Asian Academy of Management Journal, 15 (2), 135-155
52. Sangeeta S. B., Sumedha C., & Aparna R., (2015). Impact of Knowledge Management Capabilities on Knowledge Management Effectiveness in Indian Organizations, The Journal for Decision Makers, 40(4) 421-434.https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090915613572
53. Sayyed M. A., Sayyed M. Z., &Sayyed M. R.D., (2011.) Examining the Impact of KM Enablers on Knowledge Management Processes, Procedia Computer Science, 3 (2011), 1211-1223 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2010.12.196
54. Schulz, G. and Jobe, M. (2001). "Critical attributes of organisational culture that promote knowledge management technology implementation success," Journal of Knowledge Management, 8, 106-117.https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270410541079
55. Shakil Ahmad. M., (2012). Impact of organisational culture on performance Management practices in Pakistan. Business Intelligence Journal, Vol.5 No.1, pp.50-55
56. Sharkie, C. (2003),"Organizational effectiveness, people and performance: new challenges, new research agendas", Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance, Vol. 1 Iss 1 pp. 2 – 13. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOEPP-01-2014-0004
57. Teh, P. and Sun, H. (2012), "Knowledge sharing, job attitudes and organisational citizenship behaviour", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 112 No. 1, pp. 64-82.https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571211193644
58. ThalmannTing-Peng, Manhart, M. (2013),"A resource-based perspective on information technology and firm performance: a meta-analysis", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 110 Iss 8 pp. 1138 - 1158.https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571011077807
59. Tseng, C. (2016),"The impact of knowledge management practices on organisational performance", Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28 (1), pp. 131 – 159.https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-09-2013-0066
60. Turban, G &Aronson, C.(2001) "Measuring the Effects of Knowledge Management Practices" Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 8 (1) (pp161 - 170
61. Ute, P. M. (2008). The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organisation. Doubleday, New York
62. Wamundila E, Ngulube M. (2011). "Knowledge Management Strategies: Toward a Taxonomy." Journal of Management Information Systems 18(1)
63. Wasim Ul R., Nabila A., & Khalil A., (2015). Impact Of Km Practices On Firms' Performance: A Mediating Role Of Business Process Capability And Organizational Learning, Pakistan Economic and Social Review, 53(1), 47-80
64. Wenger, M.H (1998) Rethinking the knowledge-based organisation.MIT Sloan Management Review, 44(4). Zimbabwe. Public Administration Research 2: 76-83.
65. Wiig Ho (1999), "Knowledge management enablers: a case study", Industrial Management & Data Systems, 106(6), pp. 793-810. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570610671489
66. Wong Xin, Y. and Aspinwall Su, X. (2005), Linear regression analysis; theory and computing, Ringgold Inc, Portland.