Main Article Content
Resource-based View (RBV), organizational capacity, organizational structure, business, organizational learning, Malaysia, corporate performance
Purpose: Ongoing investigations on modern markets demonstrated that organizational limit structure some portion of the organization’s environment that affect its performance. Knowing its standing to the industry, a recent study inspected the effect of organizational capacity on business performance in Malaysia. The research focuses on attaining two objectives. Firstly, to analyze the perceptions of Malaysian listed companies’ directors on business capacity components. Secondly, to analyze whether different components of organizational capacity effect the performance of organizations listed in Malaysia.
Methodology: A questionnaire survey and the regression analysis have been used in obtaining the data and answering the research questions respectively.
Main Findings: The consequences of this study show that company structure plays an important role in manipulating the organization’s performance. Nonetheless, organizational learning was established not to explain Malaysian companies’ performance. Hence, the results assist the firm in their hunt for better performance through using suitable business resources.
Implications/Applications: Recognizing organizational structure as an important organizational capacity element might improve the performance of local business in the market to withstand competitive advantage.
2. Adjaoud, F., Zeghal, D., & Andaleeb, S. (2007). The effect of board's quality on performance: A study of Canadian firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15(4), 623-635. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8683.2007.00592.x
3. Alshannag, F., Basah, M. Y. A., & Khairi, K. F. (2017). The relationship between corporate social responsibility and corporate financial performance A survey of literature. International Journal of Business and Administrative Studies, 3(1), 9-15. https://doi.org/10.12816/0036829
4. Ameer, N. (2017). Impact of organizational culture on employee performance and Organizational Citizenship Behavior (OCB). International Journal of Business and Administrative Studies, 3(5), 183-196. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.3.10004-5
5. Amran, N. A., & Ahmad, A. C. (2009). Family business, board dynamics and firm value: Evidence from Malaysia. Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 7(1), 53-74. https://doi.org/10.1108/19852510980000641
6. Andrews, K. (1971). The Concept of Corporate Strategy, Dow Jones-Irwin: Homewood, Ill.
7. Ang, J.S., & Ding, D. K. (2005). Government ownership and the performance of government linked companies: The case of Singapore. Journal of Multiple Financial Management, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mulfin.2005.04.010
8. Angriani, M. R., Ariffin, Z., & Rahmawati, R. (2017). The Influence of Psychological Climate to the Organizational Commitment through of Job Involvement (Study at University Foundation Lecturer Achmad Yani (UVAYA) Banjarmasin). International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(5), 288-296. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-25003
9. Barney, J. B. (1986). Organizational culture: Can it be a source of sustained competitive advantage? Academy of Management Review, 11, 791-800. https://doi.org/10.2307/258317
10. Barney, J. B. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management, 17 (1), 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
11. Barney, J. B. (2001). Is the resource-based “view” a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes. Academy of Management Review, 26 (1), 41-56. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2001.4011938
12. Bhagat, S., Black, B. (2002). The non-correlation between board independence and long-term firm performance. Journal of Corporation Law, 27, 231-274.
13. Bhatnagar, J. (2006). Measuring organizational learning capability in Indian managers and establishing firm performance linkage: An empirical analysis. The Learning Organization, 13(5), 416 – 433. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470610679965
14. Bo Shing, L. A., & Xiaodie P.J. (2017). Exploring the relationship between leadership, organizational culture, trust, and effectiveness of knowledge sharing by forced learning. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(2), 89-104. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.2.4
15. Bontis, N., Chua, W., & Richardson, S. (2000). Intellectual Capital and the Nature of Business in Malaysia. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1 (1), 85-100. https://doi.org/10.1108/14691930010324188
16. Boubakri, N., Cosset J.C., & Guedhami, O. (2005). Post-privatization corporate governance: The role of ownership structure and investor protection. Journal of Financial Economics, 76, 369-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2004.05.003
17. Carney, M. (2005). Corporate governance and competitive advantage in family-controlled firms. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 29(3), 249-265. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2005.00081.x
18. Chen, M. C. (2001). A Study of How Investments on Information Technologies Affects Corporate Performance, Taiwan: PhD, Institute of Information Management, National Central University, Taiwan.
19. Chen, M. C., Cheng, S. J., & Hwang. Y. (2005). An empirical investigation of the relationship between intellectual capital and firms’ market value and financial performance. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(2), 159-176. https://doi.org/10.1108/14691930510592771
20. D’Souza, J., Megginson, W., & Nash, R. (2005). Effect of institutional and firm specific characteristic on post-privatization performance: evidence from developed countries. Journal of Corporate Finance 11(5), 747-766. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2004.12.001
21. Deshpande, R., Farley, J. U., & Webster, F. E. Jr. (1993). Corporate culture, customer orientation, and innovativeness in Japanese firms: A quadrad analysis. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 23–37. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299305700102
22. Dowdell Jr., T. D., Herda, D. N. & Notbohm, M. A. (2014). Do management reports on internal control over financial reporting improve financial reporting? Research in Accounting Regulation, 26(1), 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.racreg.2014.02.011
23. El-Ghalayini, Y. (2016). The effects of high performance work system on employee attitudes: A study of international organization. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 2(5), 248-263. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-2.5.5
24. Eze, I. O. (2017). Corporate governance mechanisms and earnings management in Nigerian food product companies. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.1.1
25. Fatt, C. K., Knin, E. W., & Heng, T. N. (2010). The impact of organizational justice on employees’ job satisfaction: The malaysian companies perspectives. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2(1), 56-63. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajebasp.2010.56.63
26. Field, H. (2009). The normative role of logic. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society Supplementary, 83, 251-268. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8349.2009.00181.x
27. Firer, S., & Williams, M. (2003). Intellectual capital and traditional measures of corporate performance. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(3), 348-60. https://doi.org/10.1108/14691930310487806
28. Gani, L., & Jermias, J. (2006). Investigating the effect of board independence on performance across different strategies. The International Journal of Accounting, 41, 295-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2006.07.009
29. Germain, R., Claycomb, C., & Droge, C. (2008). Supply chain variability, organizational structure and performance: The moderating effect of demand unpredictability. Journal of Operations Management, 557-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.10.002
30. Grant, R. (1991). The resource-based theory of competitive advantage: Implications for strategy formulation. California Management Review, 33(3), 114-135. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166664
31. Hao, Q., Kasper, H., & Muehlbacher, J. (2012). How does organizational structure influence performance through learning and innovation in Austria and China? Chinese Management Studies, 6(1), 36 – 52. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506141211213717
32. Henri, J.F. (2006). Management control systems and strategy: A resource-based perspective. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 31, 529-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aos.2005.07.001
33. Honadle, B. W. (1981). A capacity-building framework: A search for concept and purpose. Public Administration Review, 41(5), 575-80. https://doi.org/10.2307/976270
34. Hutchinson, & Gul. (2004). Investment opportunity set, corporate governance practices and firm performance. Journal of Corporate Finance, 10, 595-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(03)00022-1
35. Ibrahim, H., & Samad, F. A. (2011). Corporate governance mechanisms and performance of public-listed family-ownership in Malaysia. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 3 (1), 105-115. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijef.v3n1p105
36. Johannessen, J. A., Olaisen, J., & Olsen, B. (1999). Managing and organizing innovation in the knowledge economy. European Journal of Innovation on Management, 2 (3), 116-128. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601069910289059
37. Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (1996). Linking the balanced scorecard to strategy. California Management Review, 39(1), 53-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165876
38. Khong, S. T., & Eze, U. C. (2008). An empirical study of internet-based ICT adoption among Malaysian SMEs. Communications of the IBIMA, 1(1), 1-12.
39. Klapper, L., & Love, I. (2004). Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets. Journal of Corporate Finance, 10(5), 703-723. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(03)00046-4
40. Krivogorsky, V. (2006). Ownership, board structure, and performance in continental Europe. International Journal of Accounting, 14, 176-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intacc.2006.04.002
41. Kumar, S. S. (2011). The influence of organizational culture as moderator between person-organization (P-O) fit and work attitudes. International Journal of Management Studies, 18(1), 71-97.
42. Lai, G. C., & Limpaphayom, P. (2003). Organizational structure and firm performance: Evidence from the non-life insurance industry in Japan. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 70, 755-777. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0022-4367.2003.00073.x
43. Laing, D., & Weir, C. M. (1999). Governance structures, size and corporate performance in UK firms. Management Decision, 37(5), 457-464. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749910274234
44. Lee. H. Y., & Ahmad, K. Z. (2009). The moderating effects of organizational culture on the relationships between leadership behaviour and organizational commitment and between organizational commitment and job satisfaction and performance. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 30(1), 53 – 86. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730910927106
45. Leng, A. A. C. (2004). The impact of corporate governance practices on firms’ financial performance: Evidence from Malaysian companies. ASEAN Economic Bulletin, 21, 308–18. https://doi.org/10.1355/AE21-3D
46. Liao, J., Welsch, H., & Stolca, M. (2003). Organizational absorptive capacity and responsiveness: An empirical investigation of growth oriented SMEs. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28(1), 63–85. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-8520.00032
47. Lin, C., & Kuo, T. (2007). The mediate effect of learning and knowledge on organizational performance. Industrial Management and Data Systems, 107(7), 1066-1083. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570710816748
48. Lopez, S. P., Peon, J. M. M., & Ordas, C. J. V. (2005). Organizational learning as a determining factor in business performance. The Learning Organization, 12(3), 227-245. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470510592494
49. Lusthaus, C., Adrien, M. H., Anderson, G., Carden, F., & Montalvan, G. P. (2002). Organizational assessment: A framework for improving performance. Ottawa/Washington DC: International Development Research Centre and Inter-American Development Bank.
50. Lusthaus, C., Anderson, G., & Murphy, E. (1995). Institutional Assessment: A Framework for Strengthening Organizational Capacity for IDRC’s Research Partners. Ottawa: International Development Research Centre.
51. Mahdieh, O. (2015). Interaction between communication and organizational conflict and its relationship with performance. International Journal of Business and Administrative Studies, 1(2), 54-60. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.10002-2
52. Mehran, H. (1995). Executive compensation structure, ownership, and firm performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 38(2), 163-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(94)00809-F
53. Mohamad Yusof, H. S., Munap, R. Mohd Badrillah, R. I., Ab Hamid, N. R., & Md Khir, R. (2017). The relationship between organizational culture and employee motivation as moderated by work attitude. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(1), 21-25. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.1.3
54. Na Ayutthaya, J. S., Tuntivivat, S., & Prasertsin, U. (2016). The effect of positive psychological capital and organizational climate on service quality: The mediation role of work engagement of hotel service employees in Ratchaburi province. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 2(4), 167-176. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-2.4.3
55. Na Ayutthaya, J. S., Tuntivivat, S., & Prasertsin, U. (2016). The effect of positive psychological capital and organizational climate on service quality: The mediation role of work engagement of hotel service employees in Ratchaburi province. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 2(4), 167-176. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-2.4.3
56. O’Regan, N., & Ghobadian, A. (2004). Testing the homogeneity of SMEs. The impact of size on managerial and organizational processes. European Business Review, 16(1), 64-79.
57. Oetomo, H. W., Satrio, B., & Lestariningsih, M. (2016). The Leadership style as moderating, influence of compensation, Organizational Citizenship Behaviour (OCB), and stress towards intention to quit. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 1(1), 6-12. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2016-11002
58. Pandey, I. M. (2001). Financial Goals choices and performance of firms in Malaysia. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2Fr8sUJ
59. Ponnu, C. H. (2008). Corporate governance structures and the performance of Malaysian public listed companies. International Review of Business Research Papers, 4(2), 217-230.
60. Prahalad, C. K., & Hamel G. (1990). The core competence of the corporation. Harvard Business Review, 68, 79-91.
61. Prevost, A. K., Rao, R. P., & Hossian, M. (2002). Determinants of board composition in New Zealand: A simultaneous equations approach. Journal of Empirical Finance, 9, 373-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-5398(02)00002-6
62. Prieto, M. I., & Revilla, E. (2006). Learning capability and business performances: A non- ﬁnancial and ﬁnancial assessment. The Learning Organization, 13(2), 166–85. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470610645494
63. Quinn, R. E., & Rohrbaugh, J. (1983). A spatial model of effectiveness criteria: Towards a competing values approach to organizational analysis. Management Science, 29(3), 363-377. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.29.3.363
64. Rahim, R. A., Jalaludin, F. W., & Tajuddin, K. (2011). The importance of corporate social responsibility on consumer behavior in Malaysia. Asian Academy of Management Journal, 16(1), 119–139.
65. Rahman, R. A., & Haniffa, R. M. (2005). The effect of role duality on corporate performance in Malaysia. Corporate Ownership & Control, 2(2), 40-47. https://doi.org/10.22495/cocv2i2p4
66. Ripain, N., Amirul, S. M., & Mail, R. (2017). Financial literacy and SMEs’ potential entrepreneurs: The case of Malaysia. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(2), 60-68. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.2.1
67. Seifert, B., Gonenc, H., & Wright, J. (2005). The international evidence on performance and equity ownership by insiders, blockholders, and institutions. Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 15, 171-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mulfin.2004.08.003
68. Shakir, R. (2008). Board size, executive directors and property firm performance in Malaysia. Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 14(1), 66-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/14445921.2008.11104248
69. Shleifer, A., & Vishny, R. W. (1997). A survey of corporate governance. The Journal of Finance, 52(2), 737-783. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1997.tb04820.x
70. Tayles, M., Pike, R. H. & Sofian, S. (2007). Intellectual capital, management accounting practices and corporate performance. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 20(4), 522-548. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513570710762575
71. Tsai, M. S., & Tsai, M. C. (2017). The Influence of Loyalty, Participation and Obedience on Organizational Citizenship Behavior. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(1), 67-76. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-21009
72. Tsai, W. (2001). Knowledge Transfer in intraorganizational networks: Effects of network position and absorptive capacity on business unit innovation and performance. Academy of Management Journal, 44, 996-1004. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069443
73. Tsai-Yuan, L., Li-Min, C., Min-Yen, C. and Chih-Ming, Y. (2012). A study of the relationship between team innovation and organizational innovation in the high-tech industry: Confirmation of the organizational culture moderation effect. Advances in Management & Applied Economies, 2(2), 19-52.
74. Warizin, H. (2017). Influence of individual characteristics and work environment on employee’s motivation and performance. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(5), 212-220. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.5.1
75. Weir, C., Laing, D., & McKnight, P.J. (2002). Internal and external government mechanisms: Their impact on the performance of large UK public companies. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 19(5-6), 579-611. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-5957.00444
76. Wilkins, A., & Ouchi, W. G. (1983). Efficient cultures: Exploring the relationship between culture and organizational performance. Administrative Science Quarterly, 28, 468-81. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392253
77. Willy, S. (2017). Analysis of financial ratios to measure the company's performance in the sectors of consumer goods at Pt. Nippon Indosari Corpindo, Tbk and Pt. Mayora Indah, Tbk. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(1), 45-51. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-21006
78. Yermack, D. (1996). Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors, Journal of Financial Economics, 40, 185-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(95)00844-5
79. Yilmaz, Y., & Bititci, U. (2006). Performance measurement in the value chain: Manufacturing vs. Tourism. International Journal Production Performance Management, 55, 371-389. https://doi.org/10.1108/17410400610671417
80. Yoshikawa, T., & Phan, P. H. (2003). The performance implications of ownership-driven governance reform. European Management Journal, 21, 698-706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2003.09.013
81. Zhu, S., & Jiao, H. (2013). Organizational structure and corporate performance: Insights from 6,065 listed corporations. Chinese Management Studies, 7(4), 535–556. https://doi.org/10.1108/CMS-09-2013-0174